Goodreads

Theresa's books

Roc and a Hard Place
Geis of the Gargoyle
Harpy Thyme
Demons Don't Dream
The Color of Her Panties
Question Quest
Isle of View
Man from Mundania
Heaven Cent
Crewel Lye
Golem in the Gears
Vale of the Vole
Dragon on a Pedestal
Ogre, Ogre
Witch's Halloween: A Complete Guide to the Magick, Incantations, Recipes, Spells, and Lore
The Book of Runes: A Handbook for the Use of an Ancient Oracle: The Viking Runes with Stones
The Diary of a Young Girl
Eragon
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
The Hobbit


Theresa's favorite books »

Friday, September 6, 2019

My 23andme DNA Results

I very recently decided to get my DNA done with 23andMe(My referral link) so that I could find out more about my heritage. I knew my father was born in Mayaguez, Puerto Rico and my mother was a first or second-generation American-Sicilian born in Brooklyn, New York. I grew up not knowing any of my relatives and knowing my heritage became more important to me after having my children. 

The fact that each of my children has a different father and those men were still making more babies made me think it was important to do this so that maybe my kids won't wind up with a family member. Growing up, I was pretty much an outsider to all the ethnicities around me so didn't care yet. After seeing how many DNA relatives are around, I think I'm kind of lucky I didn't end up having a child with a relative. There are eight DNA relatives where I grew up. I have 344 DNA relatives that show up in the continental US alone.

Here are my ancestry results


All the places with color are where my DNA comes from.


The colors with each area correspond to the map


I decided not to expand this for the other regions

And it gives a timeline to go with when your most recent possible relative from that area was a full-on type of that nationality.


I had no idea of much of this ancestry. And neither did my parents. I also did the DNA health assessment  for myself. All but two things came up negative for certain health risks. Those two things said there was not likely a risk.

After doing this, I have really come to believe it is something everyone should do. Whether or not you want to know of your family history, it would be good to do so that there is less chance of anything incestual. There are many more families out there with situations similar to mine.

Also, the DNA traits were pretty spot of for things that didn't have too many variants. It knew I'd either have brown or hazel eyes. My mother had hazel and my father brown so I figure it was a pretty close bet either way. It said I would likely have lighter skin, which I do. I don't burn, but I don't really tan all the dark either. The fact that mosquitoes are likely bite me very often. I was pretty impressed and hope they continue to research.

Lastly, there is an option to get all of your reports in a hardcover book. I can't currently afford this and am sure the information will be expanded as they research so don't consider it currently necessary.

Now my disclaimer, although my referral link gives me up to $20 for each referral, I am not otherwise affiliated with this site. They are not paying me to advertise for them. They just happen to be what I went through.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and I do not just sit at the computer all day. If you do not see your comment for a while it just means I am busy. Unless you were extremely rude.